Do you have trouble sleeping?
Does your heart occasionally skip a beat?
Do you have hard times calming down?
It goes without saying that citrus fruits are treasure troves of splendid medicinal qualities. This has earned them a permanent spot in the world of herbal medicine and aromatherapy. The orange tree is one of the most important components of the natural healing world. While orange essential oil is produced through the peels of the fruits by using the method of cold compression, petitgrain oil is extracted from its leaves and fresh twigs through the process of steam distillation. The benefits are truly significant.
What is Petitgrain Oil?
- Scientific Name: Citrus Aurantium
- Application: Aromatic, topical, internal
- Plant Part: Leaf and twig
- Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
- Aromatic Description: Floral, slightly herbaceous as well as particularly fresh
- Main Chemical Components: linalool, alpha-terpineol and linalyl acetate
- It may help you with proper functioning of the cardiovascular and immune system
- It may deliver antioxidant support and hence prevent infections
- Petitgrain oil might also help ensure restful sleep
How to Use Petitgrain Oil
There are quite a lot of benefits which stem from the oil, regardless of the type of usage that you prefer. Of course, each application method has its characteristics and hence, you can target different issues with every one of them. If you want to take advantage of its combined advantages you can blend them all together. Furthermore, you can also throw other essences in the mix to create a bouquet of health benefits.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Uses
- Aromatic Use: Place a few drops in a commercially bought diffuser to create your own aromatherapy at home, office, or car. This will induce a relaxing sensation.
- Topical Use: Apply it topically on your skin with carrier oil in order to stimulate fresh and youthful appeal.
- Internal Use: Take it internally and it might help you ease certain feelings of tension and it could calm you down, hence ensuring restful sleep.
Directions for Use:
Even though you could easily use the oil in any of the three methods, there are certain considerations to be taken. Right off the bat, when you use it with a diffuser, you should make sure to use only about three or four drops and not more. At the same time, if you will be diluting it in a liquid, the proportion is one drop per every 4 fl. oz. of liquid, regardless of its kind. When you apply it topically, you should use one or two drop at the desired area and use carrier oil in order to ensure that there are no skin irritations. These tips will definitely help you out in drawing the maximum value out of the oil.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Health Benefits
- Right off the bat, the oil may help support proper cardiovascular as well as immune functioning. This is particularly important as it’s capable of having an overly positive effect on your entire body.
- Petitgrain is high in antioxidants and it may promote strong antioxidant support. This can help you battle free radicals and reduce damage caused to your cells. This may induce calm and restful sleep.
- When taken internally, petitgrain oil may have an overly beneficial effect on your whole body. Add a drop or two to a cup of fresh water or citrus drinks in order to achieve these effects.
- It is particularly popular for aromatherapy for its calming and relaxing sensations. This is mainly derived from the citrusy, fresh and slightly herbaceous aroma.
- In order to emphasize on the feelings of calmness and relaxation, you should diffuse a few drops in your commercial diffuser. This could take place at home, in your car or in your office.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Research
A lot of people get a bit confused when they understand that petitgrain and orange oil both derive from the same tree – the orange tree. That may be true, but it’s also worth noting that the parts from which the oils are extracted have nothing to do with each other. The same goes for the extraction processes. Right off the bat, orange essential oil is derived from the peels of the fruits through a process which is commonly known as cold pressing. Petitgrain oil, on the other hand, is extracted through steam distillation from the leaves and the fresh wigs of the tree. This is why they have separate properties. However, the fact that they derive from the same tree also pins them close together in certain characteristics. Both have very fresh and citrus aroma and that’s why they are both very popular in aromatherapy, for instance. When taken internally, however, the oils display different properties. It’s also important to understand that the oil has not been yet approved by the FDA. This is an important consideration for you to account for.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Nutrition
Even though it derives from a tree known for its particularly nutrition-rich fruits, the oil doesn’t demonstrate any significant nutritional properties. However, the effects of prolonged usage may be tremendous. Right off the bat, it can be taken internally through the dilution of one drop per 4 fl. oz. of water or any other drink of your preference. This may have significant cardiovascular, nervous, immune as well as digestive benefits for your entire body. Furthermore, it is famous for its relaxing qualities. It could be highly beneficial to diffuse couple of drops in your bedroom before you go to sleep. This can promote calm, stress-free and restful sleep.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Safety
Even though the oil is overly known for its powerful benefits, there are certain considerations that you have to take into account. This is not mild oil – it’s a strong one and you need to exercise reasonable amount of care when using it. It is highly advisable that you use carrier oil for topical application. Furthermore, you should keep it away from your children and refrain from using it on sensitive areas such as your eyes and inner ears. Furthermore, if you are undergoing any type of specific medical treatment or procedures or you are currently pregnant, consulting your treating physician first is of utter importance.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Substitute
The oil is known for a wide range of potential benefits. It could substitute quite a few different products. Right off the bat, you might want to replace your regular, chemically infused over-the-counter skin products with this essence. Furthermore, you can use it in parallel with substances that you take to promote restful sleep. As you already know, the essence may provide you with a lot of help in this particular regard.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Blends Well With
Citrus essential oils are overly known for being particularly powerful, especially when combined with other essences. The petitgrain oil blends perfectly well with bergamot, cassia, cinnamon, geranium, lemon, lemongrass, citronella, sage, lime and others of this kind. This is going to catalyze the benefits and stimulate new ones. A great way to take advantage of the blends is to diffuse them in order to create a brilliant session of aromatherapy.
While petitgrain and orange oils reveal certain similarity, they are also distinctively different. This is something that you need to take into account. However, petitgrain essence manages to bring a whole lot of different benefits which are specifically characteristic to it alone. It’s also worth noting that you would have to take certain precautions in order to prevent potential complications. Of course, the amount of care is absolutely inconsiderable and it’s nothing to be worried about.
This oil is well known for its beneficial properties. There are certain studies which suggest different advantages and there are countless of people who have already experienced them. Unfortunately, the FDA doesn’t find this conclusive enough to put it under its regulation and as such it’s still not approved for medicinal usage. That’s why it is important to refrain from substituting it for any professionally prescribed medication.